Skip to main content

Wake me up when September ends

September 11, 2002. Eight years ago. I was a freshman in college. I remember sitting in my psychology class listening to the professor lecture on the 5 stages of grief. Then in my anthropology class somehow we got in a discussion about those dying in war. I remember a young man raised his hand and started talking about losing "brothers" on our very own streets. Later on I would remember that day at school.

Then Saturday night, September 14th, I remember laying in bed feeling a heavy burden for Kavin and Kain (my two nephews) so I began to pray for them. I was just getting settled for bed when the phone rang. It was my paw-paw calling saying 2 cops stopped by his house saying they found a body and they weren't sure but they thought it was my brother's. Thats when my world changed.

I can't even descibe the way my stomach felt when my mom started getting dressed and told us what my paw-paw said. We were all in shock and were just hoping the cops were wrong. The cops were right. It was my brother. An off duty cop found his body in some woods by the Lafitte Larose highway. He was shot on September 11th and his body wasn't discovered until September 14th.

My mom and family started making phone calls to let others know. The grief in my paw-paw's house was too heavy for me. Some people prefer not to be alone at a time like that. I , however, prefered grieving alone so me and my dad went back home. I couldn't sleep that night. Instead, I just let the dam break free.

The days to follow were hard so I buried myself in school. I tried not to think about what happened. I just studied. At night though, the thoughts would creep in. I couldn't hide or run from reality. Waking up those first few days wasn't always pleasant. My mom was going through so much.

My mom is such a strong lady. I don't know how it feels to lose a child and I didn't have a child back then so I didn't understand exactly how bad she was hurting. Now that I have Dylan I know exactly how much she loved Lance, Kristy, and myself. I don't even want to imagine ever losing someone I love that deeply. She doesnt have to imagine.

It's been eight years since that horrible night. Time begins to lesson the pain but it doesn't take away the memories. And to be honest, I don't want the memories gone. It is has made me who I am today.

A few things I have learned the past eight years:

1. Time doesn't heal. Time does lesson the pain but only God can take the pain and hurt completely away.
2. God will not put on you more than you can bear. If you are going through something, be encouraged. He knows you have what it takes to overcome it!
3. Trials are a part of our lives. They will do one of two things - they will make you or break you. The Bible compares a person and his or her trial to the process of making gold.

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that
perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour
and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ."
1 Peter 1:7
This is what I read on the internet about gold:


Gold is a mineral, so it is found in the ground, picked and chipped away one
nugget at a time. Then it goes through an intense process of refining before it
becomes desirable to the eye. In order for gold to be refined, it must be
subjected to an intense fire. This fire is what purifes the gold seperating out
all of the impurities. As the impurities are burned away, only the pure gold
remains.

4. Our trials shape us, making us stronger.
5. Don't be ashamed to grieve and to let it all out. Bottling it up inside will only hurt you.
6. The best thing a person can do for a grieving friend or loved one is to let them know that you are praying for them and that if they need anything you are there for them. Knowing that we had a church family praying for us was awesome and encouraging and for that we are thankful.

Comments

Miss Riya said…
We have never stopped praying for you & your family and we never will.
Love Ya,
~Me
meboo said…
Anna, your post made me tear up. Thanks for opening up your heart and sharing with us. I can't even begin to imagine what that must have felt like for you and your family. I have always thought about your mom's loss, and wondered about how terrible it must feel. I know that even today the pain must be so real and intense. My heart squeezes inside of me to even consider feeling a portion of the sorrow that you all must still feel. Only God can give people the strength that they need. I want you to know that I love you, your family,and I love Lance's handsom and precious little boys, and I will never ever forget Lance.
JeanSkirtGirl said…
Dear anna I never knew your brother but from what i hear sounds like he was a bright young man. I will always pray for your famliy and u love carmencita