Skip to main content

New Year - New You

    Thirty-six days into the new year, and some of us have most likely already given up on our New Year’s Resolutions. Maybe you’ve cheated on that diet or skipped out on going to the gym. Maybe you forgot to read your Bible or didn’t have time to pray. And maybe, as a result, you can’t get back on track; so you’ve given up. Maybe you weren’t seeing the results quick enough. 

    Old habits are hard to break, and sometimes we may find ourselves gravitating right back to them. Why? Because it is human nature. It’s not comfortable saying no to ice-cream or having to exercise every night. It’s not comfortable making new friends when you are socially awkward or having to study every night in order to get good grades.

    Let’s talk about our spiritual goals and resolutions now. It’s human nature to give up on those too. In Romans 7:15, Paul said, “For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.”  In verse 18, he states why he doesn’t do what he should be doing. “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.” It is in our human nature to satisfy the flesh. Our spirit may be willing but our flesh is weak.

    That is why it is important to have the Holy Ghost and a relationship with God. He helps us do the things we cannot do on our own. If you are applying the Word of God to your life, you WILL see growth. However, do not become discouraged when you don’t see it right away. Transformation takes time. We can’t plant seeds and expect to see an apple tree the next day. Neither can we exercise and eat healthy for one day, and then wake up expecting to be skinny. Growth takes time; and just because you are not seeing results, doesn’t mean you are not growing. When we plant a seed in good soil and begin to fertilize and water it, we won’t automatically see a cucumber. In fact, we won’t see anything for a while; but growth is still happening. That seed is growing deep roots that will benefit the plant. When we are filled with the Holy Ghost and begin to pray and read the Word, we are growing. We are becoming rooted and grounded in Truth. We are building a foundation. We are becoming anchored and unmovable. We can’t see what is happening to the seed underground, but we know that eventually it will break surface and sprout up. 

    When someone strenuously reaches their weight loss goal and becomes healthy, change has not just happened on the outside, but also on the inside. By the end of their transformation, they don’t just look good, but they’ve also learned so many tools to be able to keep the change. 

    After I was refilled with the Holy Ghost, I struggled with why I wasn’t all of a sudden the person I needed to be. I thought that when I woke up the next morning, all my “issues” would be gone. I thought I would automatically be free of my insecurities and my weaknesses. I thought I would look in the mirror and see the Anna God saw. I didn’t and it discouraged me. But little did I know, I WAS growing. I was becoming rooted and grounded in His Word. God was transforming me into the person He created me to be. I was learning the proper tools I needed to fight back against the enemy. I was learning how to defend myself against his lies. God’s strength was being made perfect in my weaknesses, and I was learning how to trust and depend on Him.

2 Corinthians 12:9
“And he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

    So maybe you’ve missed a few days of Bible reading and prayer, maybe you’ve stumbled and messed up, maybe you’ve reverted back to old habits you thought you were delivered from; don’t be discouraged. Get back up. Repent and God will forgive you. Don’t allow Satan to bind you with condemnation.  

Romans 8:1
“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”

    You CAN live for God! You CAN become the person He created you to be! You CAN be an overcomer! You CAN keep the change! So be encouraged! Do your part and God will do His, and before you know it, you will start producing fruit. 

Comments