Skip to main content

Canceled

  Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of cancel culture? Politicians, celebrities, CEOs, and businesses are being “canceled” because they do or say something considered objectionable or offensive - and everything seems to be offensive these days. No one can have a different opinion than you. There is no agreeing to disagree anymore. Instead, we cut them out completely. We cancel them. Don’t like who the CEO of a certain company voted for? Cancel the company. She has a different opinion than you do? Cancel her. Found something in his distant past that you don’t like? Cancel him. 

 Before we know it, we may even find OURSELVES being “canceled". As disciples of Jesus, our beliefs, actions, and lifestyles are going to be contrary to what's popular. don't want to identify with this world and what's popular. I don't want to blend in and be conformed. Jesus didn't, and the religious authorities hated Him for it. They wanted Him arrested and even that wasn't enough for them. They wanted Him dead.  They wanted him canceled. They thought they were successful too, but three days later they learned that He couldn't be canceled! Society can try to cancel Truth, but Truth will prevail!

    Daniel was just like us. He was living in Babylon but wasn't OF Babylon - we are in this world, but this world is not our home. He was a Hebrew and refused to blend in with the world, and even though the other Hebrew captives (besides Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego) went with the flow, Daniel refused to. This made people mad, but he refused to give up his Hebrew identity and God blessed him for it. The king made Daniel a supervisor and had plans to put him in charge of the kingdom. He was faithful and there was no fault in him. This angered the other supervisors so much that they tried to get him canceled. They convinced the king to sign a decree that said no one could pray to any God or man except the king for thirty days or they would be thrown into the lions' den. But Daniel didn't care about being canceled. He refused to pray to anyone except God. The Bible says that as soon as Daniel heard about the decree, he went home, opened up his windows, got down on his knees, and began praying. He didn't care who saw him. He didn't care if it meant his death. He didn't care about being canceled.  And just like Jesus couldn't be canceled, neither could Daniel - he was delivered from the mouths' of the lions. What the enemy meant for evil, God meant it for good!

    We may be silenced in death, but the Word of God and our testimony will live on! I don't know about you, but I'd rather be canceled by this world, than be canceled by God. I'd rather be mocked, rejected, and persecuted because I stood up for what's right, than stand before the throne of God and hear, "I never knew you. Depart from me." I want to hear Him say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant.", but I have to be willing to deny myself first. I have to cancel that sinful nature. That's what cancel culture should be about - people who are tired of being separated from God and desire to be reconnected, people who are willing to die out to sin through repentance and take up their cross daily and follow Him. 

    So, I'm canceled. I am a new creature. Old things are passed away, all things are become new. This world is not my home. I don't fit in and I don't belong, but I was never meant to. I was meant to be a city on a hill that cannot be hid, a light in this dark world! I am not ashamed of who I am and Who I serve! I know Who I belong to and I refuse to conform or blend in to this world! 

                                                                   


Comments

Betsy said…
Very good Anna! SO true, I am also tired of the cancel culture!
Anna said…
Thanks Sis. Betsy! ❤️